
If you have read our driving diaries you would know my learning to drive experience was long, slow and scary. It was all because I was stubborn and insecure, I wanted to learn from the only person I trust, who is my hubby. I can't thank him enough for how much he has put up with me, including my temper, my fear, my carelessness, my impatience and lack of confidence in myself!
Sounds like I was a pretty difficult student to teach, right? haha! Well, he is a very strict teacher, too! I can't remember how many times I asked him to talk extra nicely to me to make me feel less nervous and not act like someone else (like he is not my hubby but a stranger examiner :P)
I remember I kept telling him I had a feeling I would fail and I was mostly afraid of letting him down. He would reassure me, "I won't let you go for your driving test if I don't think you're ready. I won't let you fail." During my learning to drive journey, I doubted myself one million times that I would ever be ready. I think I was stuck between 70-80 percent ready for a long time! I was so frustrated, among our daily routines and his job we always had to find time to get out to practice driving and parallel parking. On his days off when we could have slept in we had to get up earlier to practice. What a pain!
Suddenly one day he scheduled my driving test appointment, telling me by that time I will have to be ready for it! I freaked out even more! On top of our regular practice we practiced even more. Finally, all those practices paid off! I couldn't believe it after my test, the examiner went up to Brandon and told him how impressed she was that I handled a long vehicle well (we have a long pickup truck!). I told her he is my teacher and my husband. She was even more impressed! At that moment I couldn't be more proud of us!
Perhaps getting a driver's license is not such a big deal to some people, but to me it was huge. I see it as a new identity for myself in my new hometown. Now I can look forward to achieving other goals ... and also more sleeping in on his days off and a new vehicle for myself in the future and my very 1st customized license plate that will match his!!! :D








This is one of the songs that every time I listen to I will think of us. Will we look back laughing because people (including myself) have called us crazy? :)
☺ THANKS FOR READING! YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO READ OUR DRIVING DIARY (1) AND OUR DRIVING DIARY (2) .


I am super proud of you my Love! Our driving journey has been a long one, but I have enjoyed being your passenger for literally every mile of it. I Love You more and can't wait to accomplish even more together ❤
ReplyDeleteI am super proud of you too for teaching me well! :D Sometimes it is hard to believe we have come such a long way :)
DeleteI took me 2 years to get my license, so I didn't get my license until I was 18. I did so bad that one of the examiners that examined me had to put a hold of my record, saying that I couldn't retake the exam until I finished driving school and one year after that date. My parents were pissed lol
ReplyDeleteI would have been so upset if I had to retake the test! I never wanted to be behind the wheel if I had a choice. I wonder how it might have been different if I learned driving at 16? I can imagine how your parents felt. I teased Brandon he will feel stressed all over again someday when our teenage kid learns to drive, hahaha!
DeleteMy heartfelt congratulations to you Vicky!! ~~~ You DID it in ONE SHOT~~~ I feel so embarrassed to tell you that I took the driving test 4 times before I passed. The best part was it's the same examiner who failed me the first time that gave me the passing grade at last.
ReplyDeleteBtw, for some strange reason, I can't seem to be able to visit your blog while I use my iPad, very weird!! I'm using the PC now which I seldom use. ;)
It's really strange you couldn't view my blog on your iPad. What did it say on the page when you tried?
DeleteThank you so much for your compliment!! Four attempts must have been stressful for you! What were you mainly struggling with? I think my main struggle was changing lane. For some reason I freaked out to change lane every time like everyone was going to run into me from behind even if there were miles away. I eventually overcome that fear. I agree, the best part was to have someone who failed you approve you finally. My examiner was not smiling much to me at first so I was even more nervous. But later on I could tell she wanted me to pass. It was touching when she came around to tell Brandon how I did. I thought to myself I am glad they talked, otherwise I wouldn't have known what she thought because all she told me when we came back was You Passed! I also felt kind of shy saying my age when they asked me. I was like, "I must be the only older Asian here taking the driving test in this white people's town!"
I saved your blog as one of my favorites on my iPad. When I clickec on it, it automatically redirect me to your profile page, very strange!
DeleteI see. So weird! I added your blog to my reading list on Blogger and now I get to see a summary of your new post every time your put up one. I think it is very convenient. Maybe you would like to try that! (Go to Blogger Dashboard, then Reading List)
DeleteCongratulations, Vicky!!!!! Brandon is a wonderful teacher and you must be a very careful driver^^~ I'm so happy for you two~~~~~
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! :D I did ask him before if he wants to make driving instructor become his career, but he said no way! Haha!
Delete