My photo
Brandon is a country boy from America; Vicky is a city girl from Hong Kong - They met in the cyber world out of a random search when he was a college boy and she was a high school girl; maintained friendship and love on the net for 7 years and 5 months; engaged in 2007; lived together in 2008; tied the knot in 2009; have lived in both HK and US. Best of all, we welcomed our little angel into the world in 2016! This blog is about love, family and cultures. You're welcome to read our stories and drop us a line! ☺
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Goodbye to Super Long Locks

I had never kept my hair growing out for so long until living in the U.S.

I used to have a nickname "mushroom head" when I was a primary school kid. My primary school discipline teacher was so stern she didn't allow any girls in the afternoon section to grow their hair pass the shoulders (Right. The morning session girls were allowed which was totally unfair). We also weren't allowed to grow bangs that would cover the eyebrows. My Dad used to be our hairdresser. His signature haircut for us was like a rice bowl style - short blunt bangs and bob head. Somehow this is considered to be trendy right now but I hated to be teased with my hair. I remember when I was about primary 4 I told my dad I wanted to let my bangs grow out longer so I could clip them. No more mushroom head for me since then!


(My two sisters were still wearing the rice bowls, hahaha!)

As soon as I graduated from my primary school and became a secondary school one student, I decided I would have long hair since I never had a chance to! It was funny my long hair only lasted a year and I got so tired of it I had to get it cut. I think back then I didn't know how to take good care of it, it became dry and dull looking plus wearing it in a pony tail every day for school eventually became boring.

Brandon never liked my shorter hair though, hehe! I remember a little while after we met I decided to get a short haircut. He saw my picture and called me "sophisticated" ... sounds like a nicer way to call me old, haha! I admit I don't look too good with short hair styles.

But there is always a way to put my long hair away when I want a change. I got this wig before leaving Hong Kong. I actually like it a lot. Believe it or not I like to wear it in the winter time in the U.S. as a "hat" to keep my head warm, haha :)

My natural hair is straight and not very fine. I would call it thick although it is not the thickest. I was always jealous at my two sisters because I thought their hair was more smooth and fine than mine. I used to blame my Mom for shaving my head too many times. She said my baby hair was too thin and too brown and she heard from someone that shaving would help give me fuller hair so she had my head shaved at the barber shop a few times. Brandon of course laughs to hear this "theory" and teases me that I actually believe that was the reason of my thick hair.

I always doubted a perm would look good on me until I got temporary curls at our engagement photo session in Hong Kong in 2009. I loved the look! So then I was tempted to get a perm before our wedding in America! Guess what, Brandon was freaked out when he saw my 1st perm. He thought, "Oh no, your hair is too curly!" "Your perm tickles my face!" "I miss your straight hair!" He definitely doesn't like changes. It took him a while to appreciate my perm.


(My 1st perm)

I am not sure if it happens to other girls too but getting a perm is pretty addictive. I usually get a re-perm every 9 months. If I ever want to wear straight hair, I will put another wig on that I also got in Hong Kong to prevent myself from changing my mind, hehe.

(My straight hair wig. This one is not as comfy as the shorter one but it gives a different look :P)

So why did I grow my longest hair in the U.S.? It's actually because of the weather. In Hong Kong, it is way too humid and hot although I am pretty good at tolerating heat. Here in the U.S., I have used my super long hair as a scarf to block the cold wind, haha! Also, one more reason is the American water seems to be softer than Hong Kong water which helps my hair to get smoother and nicer and keeps me happy with it!


After 14 months of not visiting a hair salon, I decided to get a haircut and a fresh perm. A new look for my new age!



The salon here didn't do my perm in the same way as they did in Hong Kong. I wasn't too surprised about that since a lot of things are different between here and there. I was just praying that I would like the result!

(This salon was actually where I got my wedding hairdo at so I was pretty confident in their service.)

Ta-da! It is the curliest perm I have ever had and I am loving it so far! :D

☺ THANKS FOR READING! YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO READ OTHER POSTS ABOUT OUR NEW HOME .

11 comments:

  1. You look adorable! I was thinking about curling my hair as well, but my boyfriend is exactly the same way as your husband, he doesn't like changes very much. He is so used to me not wearing make up, and every time when I put make up on, he would be like, "Ugh...you look weird. It's like you are not you. Don't wear make up, please!" Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks :) My hairdresser told me it would only last 3 months, can you believe it? :O Your boyfriend must love you for the way you are so he doesn't want you to change. But I totally am on your side to curl your hair when you get a chance someday. You can get the big waves to begin with. That shouldn't be too shocking for him? When I first met my husband I had zero makeup but as I grew older I put more and more and more on he actually has no say about it so I appreciate that, hahaha! It's just that he waits longer and longer on me when we go somewhere :P I am bad I also like to "quiz" him whenever I change my makeup like the ways I draw my eyeliner or when I change my eye shadow colors. Your boyfriend would hate me!!

      Delete
    2. What? 3 months? Are you sure she is not trying to scam you?
      I don't think my hair is long enough for curling yet, but maybe in a couple months, I will!

      I have gotten so much more lazier after I met my boyfriend. I mean, now, I rarely wear make up anymore. Lol. Maybe once every 2 months, and I am like, I dont care how shitty I look now, because I have already found someone. Haha

      Delete
    3. A hairdresser in Brandon's family told me it's true for short hair but my hair is long enough to let the perm stay longer. I guess the lady told me 3 months as a typical answer. But I was shocked! I paid more than I did in HK ... I hope you will like your perm! So exciting. First perm I guess? It will look great with stocking hats :)
      You make yourself sound so bad but you are too young to put regular makeup anyway! So jealous :( I started to wear it regularly at around 26 and it never ends.

      Delete
    4. How much was the perm, if you don't mind telling me? I was shopping around to see how much it costs for a perm here, and all I found was around $150. Definitely not spending that much to change my look haha

      Delete
    5. It's almost embarrassing to say I spent close to the amount your mentioned ... It originally cost 130 but I saved 5 bucks with a coupon. Were you looking in downtown? The one I went is in downtown and pretty upscale so I expected to splurge ... I don't dare risking my hair because I had learned my lesson in Hong Kong. Speaking of HK they charged much less with the person I already trusted. If you change your mind perhaps you can get a curler/ tongs? I tried but wasn't very good at it!

      Delete
    6. I have a curler! My hair is very thick, it usually takes me a long time to curl my hair. I just don't feel like spending 1.5 hours everyday just to curl my hair haha. Yes, I was looking in downtown and around the university, it's super duper expensive. I found some deals on groupon for $55 including perm and cutting, just not sure if I should risk it lol

      Delete
    7. Your hair doesn't look so thick to me but you look like you have a lot! It's a blessing to have so much hair like everybody says to me. Whoa, the deal you found sounds tempting but I don't know. I guess you can read the reviews of that salon? You should also find out if they use heat. They didn't use any heat on my hair which surprised me a lot. I think heat could easily burn your hair if they use cheap chemicals as well.

      Delete
  2. curly hair should be easier to maintain than straight hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, it is! At least I don't worry about combing my perm at all. I only need to wet it and run my fingers through it before going out. Straight hair can be easy to handle too if it is smooth like the 負離子type. I used to get it but then thought it looked too flat and depending on your face shape ... straight hair makes my face look less slim :P

      Delete

☺ YOU ARE WELCOME TO LEAVE US A COMMENT! WITH YOUR SUPPORT WE WILL CONTINUE TO WRITE MORE AND MORE :) *** Please check the box "Notify me" to receive my response ***